Ratings and links

IMDB 7.1/10
Rotten Tomatoes 75/100

Information and details

Genre: Drama
Runtime: 1h57m

Director: Justin Chon
Notable cast members: Justin Chon, Alicia Vikander, Mark O'Brien

Plot summary: As a Korean-American man raised in the Louisiana bayou works hard to make a life for his family, he must confront the ghosts of his past as he discovers that he could be deported from the only country he has ever called home.

Trailer

Warning! Proceed with caution. You WILL read spoilers below.

Only proceed if you've seen the movie.

Last edited:
My review

Been ages since we saw a drama, this movie had been on my watchlist for a while so it was an easy choice.

Let's start of with the technical details: I liked the visuals and artsy fartsy style a lot. (sometimes there was dirt on the camera, vignetting,...) I believe they actually added something to the movie, instead of just making it "hipster".
The acting and characters were good. I really only knew Alicia Vikandar from before, didn't' really recognize the other actors. Yet they still delivered.

Not a huge fan of the story, but it did bring attention to (one of the most) cruel situations in the U.S.A. Not sure if this had something to do with Trump's presidency, but people getting deported after being legally adopted and living inside the U.S.A. for 30+ years is just plain messed up.
I did really love the bond between Antonio and Jessie. The guy is a fantastic father. The entire Parker family part of the movie was also really well done.

What I didn't like was the (melo)drama, it was all just a tad too much in some scenes. Especially the last scene in the airport was just... a bit too much.

One of the less believable things story-wise, was Antonio getting beat-up like crazy and missing your court-date. Surely that's a valid reason for a new hearing?

Oh and fuck Denny. Dumb-ass cop.

7/10

fk0ZOIr.jpeg

Loved this shot of Jessie looking at her parents, happily dancing on the boat.

G5QFbE7.jpeg

The song couldn't have been more spot-on, although I definitely didn't expect Vikander to sing.

Q4O9yGg.jpeg

Small example of the artsy fartsy "analog" shots.

2t6XbyK.jpeg

Really wholesome part right before the melodramatic end of the movie.

Back
Top Bottom